Friday, April 16, 2010

Parenting 102

I started this post a couple of months ago but then never got around to finishing it. Until today.

I know I've been neglecting this blog but I'll try to keep more up to date going forward. And in case you're wondering, I'm still not at Day 30 of the shred. And yes, it's been way over 30 days since I started. And yes, it's called "The 30 Day Shred". And yes, sadly I am still flabby.

Anyways, carry on. Hopefully I'll be back with more. I am not making any promises, but I'll try. And next time I might even have pictures!

***

I'm just not good at being a stay at home mom.

No phrase irks me more than this one.

It's an easy way to say that you just might not want to be a stay at home. and nothing is wrong with that. I just wish people would say what they mean without masking it in a cloud of faux self-deprecation.

Say what you mean - if what you really mean is that you don't like staying home and would rather work, just say it. Say what you mean instead of hiding behind words you think will stave off judgement. Because you know what?

You will be judged, no matter what.

Judging. It's what people do. Is it right? No. But is it a natural human reaction? Yes. We tend to judge people when their choices differ from ours, when it may be something we would never do or even consider. But God created us all differently for a reason. Life is not a simple puzzle of squares and circles. We are given twists, turns, bends, and improbable obstacles and we have to find a way to make it work. As parents, we figure out what works for us and we stick with it. But others feel that their way is the way and proceed to let it be known to the world.

In the media, no one gets more beat up and judged than mothers. Mothers who work put their careers ahead of their family. Mothers who stay home are stunting equality and slowing the movement of womens rights. Moms who breastfeed are harpy hippies. Moms who formula feed are detached and uninformed. Instead of building one another up, we are tearing each other down, many times as reassurance to our own choices.

Personally, I am confident in the choices I make for my children and my family. Much of this comes from the experience of raising three small children - with each child comes more wisdom and more "ah ha!" moments. But I have made my share of mistakes. I have heard my share of criticisms. But from these, I learn. I change. I grow. I make my choices and I do the best that I can - whether it be as a working mom or a stay at home mom. I do the best I can do.

And the best that I can do should be more than good enough.

1 comment:

  1. Well said, Linda. Thank you for reminding us that being a parent is a work in progress. Parenting is one of the hardest jobs we'll ever do and we need to support and encourage each other.

    ReplyDelete